The dental examination serves as a diagnostic assessment of a patient's comprehensive oral health and hygiene.
Throughout a dental examination, the dentist or hygienist may:
- Examine for indications of decay or periodontal disease
- Inquire about any medications being taken
- Conduct dental x-rays
- Assess occlusion (bite) and jaw function
- Guide proper cleaning techniques
- Remove stains or debris from the teeth
- Capture a dental impression if necessary
Additionally, the dentist or hygienist may conduct an oral cancer examination, which involves palpating the cheeks, gums, tongue, under the jaw, and the sides of the neck to detect any signs of oral cancer.